THE ADJECTIVE / THE ADVERB
⇐ ПредыдущаяСтр 2 из 2
Ex.19. Fill in the gaps with the adjectives in the box in a comparative or superlative form:
1. I travelled through Turkey by train because it was ______ way to cross the country.
2. Scientists have discovered a tiny bacteria living in the deep ocean. They say it is _______ living organism known to man.
3. It is almost impossible to find a parking space in the city centre so it is _______ to travel by public transport if you need to go there.
4. Pain killers are much _______ now so they reduce pain a lot faster than in the past.
5. I like all kinds of sports, but I think football is _______ game to watch because it is so fast-moving.
6. Nick did a bungee-jump, but I was too scared. He’s much _______ than me.
7. I think people from the north of my country are _______ than people from the south. In the south no one ever seems to smile, but it’s the opposite in the north.
8. The website listed hotels in a wide price range. I was amazed that the _______ ones cost over $500 a night.
9. Weightlifters these days are lifting _______ weights than ever before.
Ex.20. Complete the sentences:
a) using very, quite or a bit:
1. I couldn’t sleep. There was _______ a lot of noise from the disco. 2. There was heavy traffic on the road. The road was _______ busy. 3. It was only a minute or two after the scheduled time when the train came. The train was _______ late. 4. There were one or two small traces of mud on the boots. The boots were _______ dirty.
b) using so or such:
1. The weather was _______ nasty that she decided to stay at home. 2. He drove at _______ a high speed that I got frightened. 3. The show was _______ amusing that we couldn’t help laughing. 4. They made _______ brilliant reports that the audience burst out applauding. 5. There were _______ many interesting books that he didn’t know what to choose.
c) using as … as, the same … as, than … or not so (as) … as:
1. The bicycle is _____ fast _____ the car. 2. Nobody was more shocked _____ Nick.
3. I wish you were _____ pretty _____ your mother. 4. He is _____ age _____ my brother. 5. I earn _____ much money _____ he does. But she earns more _____ we both. 6. I ordered _____ drink _____ he did. 7. Your car is much more powerful _____ mine, but my small car is _____ expensive _____ yours. 8. Petrol is more expensive now _____ a few years ago. 9. Paris is _____ exciting ____ London.
Ex.21. Underline the appropriate adverb:
1. He lives quite (nearly/near). 2. You’ve come too (lately/late). 3. The mechanic examined the damaged car (closely/close). 4. It is (prettily/pretty) difficult to speak to her. 5. We have seen very little of you (lately/late). 6. She is always (prettily/pretty) dressed. 7. He (nearly/near) seized the rail. 8. I used to work (hardly/hard) to have everything I have got now. 9. His suggestions seemed (highly/high) improbable to us. 10. Her house stood (closely/close) to the river. 11. The wind was blowing so (hardly/hard) that I could (hardly/hard) walk. 12. The actress (justly/just) deserved the prize. 13. The plane flew (highly/high) we could (hardly/hard) see it. 14. (Shortly/ short) after graduating I moved to the capital. 15. I could see the house door which was (widely/wide) open.
Ex.22. Choose the appropriate word:
1. I think horror films are (frightening/frightened) and (boring/bored). 2. Don’t look so (surprising/surprised). Of course, it was a (surprising/surprised) decision. 3. It was a (tiring/tired) journey. I wish I hadn’t had it. I feel completely (exhausting/exhausted) after it. 4. The football match was (disappointing/disappointed). Our team lost the game and we left the stadium quite (disappointing/disappointed). 5. He can’t remember his pupils’ names. It seemed funny at first, but now it is rather (embarrassing/ embarrassed). 6. So far as Mrs. Brown was concerned she did not seem to be in the least (embarrassing/ embarrassed). 7. He did not come and she looked rather (worrying/worried). 8. The rise in crime is (depressing/depressed). 9. The picture made a (depressing/depressed) impression on him. 10. She is not (satisfying/satisfied) with her position.
Ex.23. Translate into English:
1. У него сильно болит голова. Он едва может говорить._____________________________
2. Ты говоришь слишком быстро. ________________________________________________
3. Я не видел его в последнее время. ______________________________________________
4. Он упорно готовится к экзаменам. _____________________________________________
5. Как приятно пахнут твои духи! ________________________________________________
6. У Вас беглый английский. Вы говорите по-английски хорошо._____________________
7. Мы потратили не так много времени на перевод этой статьи, как вы.________________
8. Сегодня Том написал столько же писем, сколько и вчера.__________________________
9. Новая машина Майкла такая же мощная, как и моя. ______________________________
10. Чем больше он говорит, тем меньше его слушают.______________________________
11. Последний поезд прибывал в полночь. _______________________________________
12. Последние известия были совсем неинтересные.________________________________
13. Что ты собираешься делать дальше?___________________________________________
14. Последняя модель машины вдвое надежнее, чем старая.__________________________
15. Число безработных еще более возросло за последние пять лет. ____________________
♫ LISTENING COMPREHENSION ♫
Ex.1. Listen to the talk about a recent trip.
a) Complete the table below. Write no more than two words or a number for each answer:
b) Listen to the talk again and make a list of all adjectives:
Ex.2. a) Complete these questions using superlative adjectives and adverbs. Use leastwhere you see:
Thinking of relocating in the EU to cut costs, or to improve your business prospects, or even your lifestyle? How much do you know about the EU? Do the quiz and find out.
♦ . Which country has (large) _______ population in the EU?
1 . Which three countries have the EU's (expensive) _______ workforce?
2 . Which country in the EU has Europe's (old) _______ population?
♦ . In which country do people live (long) _______?
3 . Which two countries have (low) _______ retirement ages?
4 . Which EU country is (wealthy) _______in terms of per capita GDP?
5 . Which capital cities in the EU have (happy) _______ citizens? On the other hand, which have ( satisfied) _______?
6 . In which EU cities do the public transport systems run (efficiently) _______?
9. In which EU countries do citizens feel (secure) _______?
B) Do you know the answers to the questions mentioned above? Listen to the radio program and check your answers.
Ex.3. Read these interview notes on two candidates for a sales manager position. Complete the phone conversation between the personnel manager (PM) and sales director (SD). Use (not) as... (as) or less... (than) and the words in brackets. Sometimes both are possible. Then listen and check your answers:
PM: So what do you think? I mean, they're both good but I think Gisela is the better candidate. Paola was 1) (impressive) _______Gisela.
SD: Urn, I think they're about equal. For me, Paola was just 2) (strong) _______ Gisela.
PM: But Paola's 3) (old) _______Gisela and she's 4) (experienced) _______.
SD: True, but on the other hand Gisela's qualifications are 5) (good) _______Paola's. Paola hasn’t worked for 6) (long) _______ Gisela, but Gisela is 7) (well-qualified) _______Paola.
PM: How about personality? I mean Gisela was 8) (shy) _______ and 9) (quiet) _______Paola.
SD: Well, Paola was 10) (talkative) _______Gisela, but I actually think Gisela was
11) (confident) _______. And Paola's test results were also 12) (high) _______ Gisela's. I'd like to offer her the position. ♫
Ex.24. Write these numbers in English:
a) 567 __________________________________________________________
b) 6 ½ ____________________________________________________________
c) 3,267 _______________________________________________________
d) 8,93 ________________________________________________________
e) 0,34 __________________________________________________________
f) 7¼ __________________________________________________________
g) 2,359,000 ______________________________________________________
h) 11.06 ________________________________________________________
i) 58% ____________________________________________________________
j) 3³ ____________________________________________________________
k) 9 May__________________________________________________________
l) 3 August _______________________________________________________
m) 8 913 881 97 05 _________________________________________________
n) –3 Centigrade _________________________________________________
o) (in) 1907 _____________________________________________________
p) 37% _______________________________________________________
q) 3,000,000,000 ___________________________________________________
r) 7,082 __________________________________________________________
s) 40 – 0 (the result in a tennis game) _________________________________
t) 3 – 1 (the result in a football match)_________________________________
Ex.25. Correct the mistakes (if any) in the following sentences:
1. The radio said that there were more than ten thousands people taking part in the meeting. 2. She bought two dozens eggs. 3. My birthday is on the twenty-one of March. 4. His telephone number is four six seven, five nought, nine two. 5. There are two hundred fifteen pages in this book. 6. Write down the following: zero point six hundred and twelve plus six point nought two. 7. This is twenty-five percents of the total. 8. The game ended with the score three nought. 9. The temperature is two degrees below oh. 10. He was born in nineteen eighty-first.
©2015- 2019 megalektsii.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав.