IV. Translate the sentences from Russian into English.
Стр 1 из 2Следующая ⇒
SPORTS AND GAMES
1. What sport society do you belong to?
2. The club has different sections.
3. A special council is elected to guide the activities of the club.
4. This stadium has a seating capacity of 1000,000.
5. There has been a record attendance at the stadium this year.
6. Where is the play (sports) ground)?
7. Now the winter sports season is in full swing.
8. The competition will be opened with the long-distance run.
10. Gymnastic competition
11. International contest
12. Swimming contest
13. The World Students` Games
15. Meeting (Am a meet)
16. An `A` league team
17. The all-Ukraine team
18. The national team
19. Contending teams
20. Visiting team
23. A tem-mate
24. To qualify for the finals
26. The world high-jump record holder
27. The Russia record holder in …
28. Honourable Master of Sports
29. A medal winner
30. A medalist at the Olympic Games
31. A triple champion
32. The Ukraine, national, world, Olympic champion
33. Individual championship
34. To win the championship
35. To go in for the world championship in …
36. A title-holder
37. A contender to the title
38. To win (carry off, capture) a title
39. To lose a title
40. To defend a title
41. To retain the title
42. To compete for the first place
43. To establish (set) a new world record
44. To beat (cut, break, exceed) a record in…
45. To improve (raise, better) a record in…
46. To lower the record 0.1 of a second
47. To repeat the result
48. Close to the world record
49. An individual (team) victory
50. A third victory running
51. To press for a victory
52. To reap all the victories
53. A victory over…
54. An easy winner
55. To have a win to one`s credit
56. To win by the head
57. To mount the rostrum
58. To be garlanded with a laurel wreath
59. A surprise defeat
60. To defeat a team by 6 points to 4
61. To try to even up
62. To train
63. To be `in form`
64. To be `out of form`
65. A trainer (coach)
66. Who trains him?
67. He trains under…
68. Singlets and shorts (Am jersey and trunks)
69. Sports shoes
70. A keen sportsmen
71. An ardent sports fan
72. A favourite kind of sport
73. Basic sports
74. To go wild over a game
75. To have (take) a keen interest in a team
76. To care for football
77. To go in for swimming
78. To be keen on cricket
79. To take a fancy for (to) archery
80. To be a soccer fan
81. To be good at tennis
82. To chuck up (drop) playing rugby
83. To join (take a hand, take part in, make one of the party)
84. What teem do you root for? =What teem do you support?
II. Discussion point.
Step A. Work in pairs and write down:
a) five games where you can hit the ball (with various kinds of equipment)
b) four games where you can pass the ball
c) three games where you can catch the ball
d) two games where you can kick the ball
e) one game where you can head the ball
Step B. Put the words from the table in the correct column: Sport, Place or Equipment. Sometimes you can put a word in more than one column.
Step C. Decide whether the sentences are true or false. If false, write the correct variant.
1. The people who watch a football match are the audience.
2. The official who gives the score in tennis is the umpire.
3. Athletes wear shorts.
4. You need a stick to play hockey.
5. Boxers wear gloves.
6. Tennis is played on a pitch.
7. The referee in football has a whistle.
8. Women wear trunks for swimming.
Step D. Answer the questions.
1. What are the games and sports that you watch but don`t play? Where do you usually watch them?
2. What are the games and sports that you play yourself? Do you regularly go in for sport?
3. Are there any games and sports that you hate? Why?
4. What are the games and sports that the Ukrainians don`t play much?
5. What is the most popular sport in our country?
6. What is the most dangerous sport in your opinion? Why?
7. What game or sport requires the most strength?
8. What sport has the biggest crowds?
III. Read the text and answer the questions after it.
SPORT AND GAMES
People all over the world are fond of sports and games. That is one of the things in which people of every nationality and class are united. All kinds of physical exercises are very useful to make our bodies strong enough to keep ourselves fit and healthy. The most popular outdoor winter sports are shooting, hunting, hockey, in the countries where the weather is frosty and there is much snow – skating, skiing and tobogganing. Some people greatly enjoy figure-skating and ski-jumping. It`s so nice to go to the skating-rink or to the forest on a frosty sunny day!
Summer affords excellent opportunities for swimming, boating, yachting, cycling, gliding and many other sports. Among outdoor games football takes the first place in public interest; this game is played in all countries of the world. The other games that have firmly established themselves in favour in different countries are golf, lawn-tennis, cricket, volleyball, basketball, and so on. Badminton is also very popular.
All the year round many people indulge in boxing, wrestling, athletics, gymnastics and track and field events. Scores of young girls and women go in for callisthenics. Over the last few years aerobics has become popular with young girls. It helps them to be slim, healthy and strong. The founder of this kind of sport was a well-known American actress Jane Fonda. Being a great enthusiast of aerobics she has been trying to initiate many young women from all over the world into this sport.
Among indoor games the most popular are billiards, table-tennis, draughts and some others, but the great international game is chess, of course. The results of chess tournaments are studied and discussed by thousands of enthusiasts in different countries.
So we may say that sport is one of the things that makes people kin. To cut the long story short, I should admit that everyone must do all he can to be healthy. Physically inactive people get old earlier than those who have plenty of exercises. If you do daily exercises you feel refreshed, have a good posture, and that makes you feel good. I can add that good health is better than the best medicine. You have `A sound mind in a sound body`, as the old Latin saying goes. The English proverb `Sickness in the body brings sickness to the mind` expresses a similar idea, but from a different point of view.
1. Why does the author say that sports and games is the thing in which people are united?
2. What winter and summer sports activities are mentioned in the text?
3. What is the most popular game in all countries of the world?
4. Why do many girls and young women go in for callisthenics?
5. What do you think the author means saying that `good health is better than the best medicine`?
IV. Translate the sentences from Russian into English.
1. Стадион вмещает 100 000 человек.
2. Сейчас в полном разгаре зимний сезон.
3. Соревнования будут открыты забегом на длинную дистанцию.
4. Победитель взошел на пьедестал и был увенчан лавровым венком.
5. За какую команду Вы болеете?
6. Футбол занимает лидирующее место среди других видов спорта.
7. Зрители всегда тепло встречают футбольную команду Англии.
8. Их игра носила исключительно оборонительный характер, нападающие играли несогласованно.
9. Ворота команды соперников все время находились под угрозой.
10. Гол, сравнявший счет, был встрече шквалом аплодисментов.
11. С каким счетом выиграла эта команда? – Ты что, шутишь? Они продули всухую!
12. Так как к концу матча счет по-прежнему оставался равным, судье пришлось дать дополнительное время.
©2015- 2019 megalektsii.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав.